First of all, Robert never takes any time off. He has over 30 days accrued (because he's never sick and I alway am and so never have any time accrued - ergo, we never take a "vacation") and so decided to take a day on Friday because he'd had a long week, what with his 16-hour day on Tuesday and whatnot. Then he figured, since he's in a use-it-or-lose-it situation, he'd take Monday off, too. And that's great... only Robert isn't a sit-around-the-house kind of guy and inevitably he will touch my stuff and screw up my piling filing system and I will be forced to hurt him. :o) It's true. And he did. But I digress.
Robert has been working on a jewelry box for me for about a month now, as I mentioned. It wouldn't have taken so long except he doesn't have an actual work bench or anything, so he has to work on our BBQ table and old microwave stand. Oh, and the old spa. So, he's sort of limited in what he can do, even though he has all the right tools and everything. I had seen an earring box in a magazine - basically a square wooden frame around some fabric for you to stick your earrings through - and told Robert I would like something like it. He then got all atwitter and set out to make me something for my earrings. I say 'something' because after it took more than, like, two weeks, I said something to him about it and he said he didn't remember seeing the item I'd pointed out in the catalog. He was going off his "own design." Oh goody.
Needless to say, I had some reservations that Robert's design would encompass what I wanted. "But you only wanted a cloth hanger for earrings - how hard can that be?!" you ask. True. But when I said "earrings" Robert heard "jewelry" and, well, wanted to make something a bit more elaborate than I wanted. I already have a jewelry box, as I pointed out to him, and really just wanted a bunch of holes in something from which I could hang my earrings but he assured me he was taking care of it. Okey dokey. Here is his work in progress and final result:
So, you know - it looks good. It does a little more than I asked and it's not exactly what I had in mind but it does have lots of holes for my earrings!! And Robert was so cute - he actually organized all my jewelry on it for me so it was ready and waiting for me when I got home from work. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the best of moods coming home from work on Friday and, as such, I don't think I was as enthused as Robert would have liked... whoops. I know - I suck. But I do like it very much and am very impressed at Robert's woodworking abilities. They've really improved from when he made the TV tray that didn't fold in high school... ;o) In all seriousness, it was a very sweet gesture and I am impressed at Robert's creativity and skill - he really is a sweetheart.
And while I'm posting about Robert's woodwork-ery, here are a few photos of his first project: Gigantor.


As you can see, Gigantor is a DVD rack. A HUGE DVD rack... hence the name Gigantor. :o) (Yes, I really do call it that at home, too.) It is also Robert's own design and he actually finished the whole thing without a router (he has a fine set of routers now but at the time he was without), so his even and symmetric rounded corners are awesome. You can't really tell in the picture but he also mounted it to the wall in such a way that the mounts are hidden, so it's sort of like a floating... Gigantor. :o)
Anyhoo - back to Robert's projects. So, Robert finished up the jewelry box on Friday and started itching to start something new. I got him to do some cleaning on yesterday to occupy his time, then he dragged me down to Expo to look at blinds. Ugh. It did effectively suck up the rest of the day, though, so I guess it was good. Then first thing this morning, Robert starts harassing me about what things he can start working on. First he tells me he wants to paint our bedroom(!); after I told him he'd have to do the baseboards, too, he went off that idea pretty quickly. Then he wants to paint the crown molding in our spare bedroom or paint the master bathroom... he is driving me bananas!!!!!! I finally got him working on something in the guest bathroom - moving our light fixture so it's more centered over the mirror and the sink. (I'm anal - it's been driving me nuts since we moved in!). He jumped right on it and is working on it as I write:
He has to do touch-up painting after he re-attaches the light, so I hope that'll keep him busy for a while. I think he's moving on to adjusting our spare bedroom blinds after the bathroom - apparently, they're mounted outside the window and he wants them mounted inside. Whatever. Just stay away from me, my stuff and my TV and we'll get along fine, McCauley!!! Yeesh. I don't know what else there is to do - he has already done the dishes twice, dusted the fan blades and vacuumed - but if I don't get him out of my hair, he's not going to last the weekend.
5 comments:
Those are some awesome woodworking skills Robert. Right on. (I wish I had a router.)
I absolutely second John's observations about Robert's woodworking skills. I'm reminded of my first woodworking project in 7th grade woodshop - a hamburger press (aaargh). I don't think routers had been invented yet, so we had to cut the hamburger well with a coping saw, and of course filing and sanding was all too boring, so it didn't get done very well - you can just visualize the dismal result. Anyway, it gave me a lifelong appreciation for people who can actually do this stuff, and do it well.
lors - did i catch that you pile file. rob is a piler filer and it drives me nuts. He thinks our window sill is his personal desk....
A hamburger press? Wow - I couldn't make myself believe that that was really what it sounded like. It was. And they still make'em... weird! Seriously - who can't make a hamburger patty?
And yes, I am a piler filer. It works, I tell you! I know exactly where stuff is in any given pile; when Robert molests my piles, I am not a happy woman.
John -- Speaking of woodworking, I was going through some old papers the other day and found the cards we used in high school woodshop to purchase wood. I even had your old card, for some reason -- I think it had $1.20 on it! I still remember that awesome chest you built ...
Post a Comment