Thursday, May 08, 2008

Lusting for Wayne?

Here's a blurb from EW.com re: a new reality show from Scott Baio (does this mean Scott isn't going to be "47 and Married... with Children" or what? Dang!):
Cue the high-pitched squeals: VH1 is greenlighting a reality series in which eight male teen idols from the 1980s and '90s shack up together and reflect on the highs and lows of heartthrobbery. After receiving mentoring from a life coach and industry experts, each one decides whether to attempt a career comeback or to swear off Hollywood for good. Executive producers on the still-untitled show — which is slated to debut early next year — include Scott Baio and Jason Hervey, who know a thing or two about teen fame (Baio with Happy Days, Hervey with The Wonder Years) and VH1 (Scott Baio is 45…and Single, Scott Baio is 46…and Pregnant).

Now, I can't think of a single girl who lusted after Jason Hervey on The Wonder Years. I myself lusted for ol' Kevin Amold (no, not a typo; if you don't know to what I am referring, you were not a fan!!)... until puberty caught up with him and blew up his nose (along with his hair). Sure, Wayne was funny - but was he really "teen idol" material? Even on the show he had psoriasis!! And they made him stand on a box so he'd be taller than Kevin... c'mon now. Still, I would never have thought Scott Baio was ever hunk material, either, so I guess there's a lid for every pot.


I'm trying to think of some good 80s/90s teen idols and I can't think of anyone. Are they leaning toward TV stars, movie stars or recording artists? Or a mixture of all three? And how loosely are we interpreting the word "idol," anyway? I mean, Rider Strong was listed as an idol in some other retrospective I saw and I just thought "Huh?" Yuck!!! But again - lid, pot. I must broaden my perspective, I see. I really liked Fred Savage, as I mentioned, but he's actually successful as an adult so I doubt he'll be invited. Chad Allen was hot on My Two Dads but, again, he's actually sort of successful so probably no Chadster, either. I had a huge crush on Jonathan Brandis in the 6th grade but, well, he's dead, so I'd say he's busy. I thought Scott Bloom was cute on Who's the Boss? ... and hey! His last credit is "FBI Agent #3" in Smokin' Aces so, y'know, maybe he just loser-y enough to be on!! I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Scott Bloom, c. 1988 - Thank goodness my taste has improved!

UPDATE 05/09/08: Defamer.com has written something about this, too, and have listed a handful of possible idols. They, too, went for Kevin Amold but also threw Kirk Cameron and Ricky Schroeder into the mix. Now, Kirk is very busy adopting children and running his own ministry so I doubt he'd have the time to hang at VH1. Then again, he might want the publicity... I'm not particularly religious myself so I for one hope either VH1 or Kirk decide to pass on this pairing! And Ricky Schroeder is successful enough that he doesn't need to stoop to reality shows just yet. Shoot, I distinctly remember an interview he gave many moons ago in which he commented that he'd invested his Silver Spoons money so well he'd never have to work again if he so chose. Not too shabby, eh?

0 comments: