Sunday, June 22, 2008

Robert: 100. Germs: 2.

Robert and I were really looking forward to this weekend - we've had plans the last few weekends (both Saturday and Sunday - can you imagine?!) and were excited to finally have a weekend where we could just hang out and relax. And then stupid ol' Robert ruined it by getting sick!! Selfish.

As such, I wound up having to babysit Robert and his sickness all weekend... boo!!! I have made no secret of my aversion to sick people... Yeah, I know I am one most often so I should probably be more understanding but yuck. Robert doesn't get sick very often (hence the post title); in fact, the last sick day he took from work was back in '02. Seriously. So, he doesn't like being sick, he's not used to it and he's not good at it. Consequently, he was EXTREMELY cranky and unpleasant - which I guess all of us are when we're not feeling well but I wasn't liking it much. He was a real bear all weekend. Couple that with all the whining and sniffling and coughing and... ugh. I just don't like it. It's so freakin' annoying!!! Plus, we all know I'm an absorbent germ - I get sick if you look at me sideways! The last thing I need is for him to hack his disease all over me, you know what I'm saying? He got lucky - I have taken no legal vows to stick with him through better or worse. I'm free to smother him with a pillow and hit the road at the first snarffle!!! But I didn't. 'Cause I'm nice like that. :o)



Actually, I guess a teensy, tiny, minuscule part of me did feel bad for him. He just looked so uncomfortable, even while he was sleeping. He just had this scrunched up little grimace face while he slept; it was pretty sad. It was unbearably hot in our condo (only 86 degrees, c'mon!) so we trekked over to my parents' house - they are out of town and have air conditioning. Plus, they have two couches so Robert could have one all to himself - something both he and I enjoyed. He ended up napping all day, which was good. (I didn't have my camera with me, of course, so the poor quality photos are courtesy of my cell phone.) He hadn't slept very well at all the night before and even went so far as to shove a shirt in his mouth to keep him from swallowing and making his throat any sorer. :o( Poor guy. He napped all day and I got to sit and watch movies on my parents' Blu-Ray DVD player. So, in the end, Robert was quiet and I got to watch movies - not too shabby for Lauren!!

Robert felt a little better on Sunday but still laid around the house. I couldn't talk him into staying home Monday just to rest a bit more ("I can't ruin my streak!" he said) so he'll be back at work tomorrow. As soon as he feels the slightest bit of improvement, he thinks he's cured. Hello, does the word 'relapse' mean anything to you?! Sheesh. But, he is nothing if not stubborn so it remains to be seen how long it will actually take for him to fully recover... and if he infected me, it won't matter. He'll be toast anyway. :o)

2 comments:

Robert said...

Actually, the last time I was sick was in '02! And I wasn't that much of a pain this weekend :)

Lauren said...

I will amend the post to reflect your 6-not-4-year streak. :o)

And yes you were.