Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Random Round-Up 09

* I'm sure you've all heard about the U.S.'s denial of Boy George's visa for his upcoming tour (that is no more). This quote from Holy Moly!'s article on the incident made me laugh out loud. I don't know if I'm tired or what but I thought it was HI-larious! Judges?
At least George, whilst moaning at Paper Magazine, isn't at all bitter…"There are a number of public figures who are openly using drugs and they have no problem with immigration and I have seriously turned my life around." By selling T-shirts on a market stall? Quite a turnaround, that. Amy Winehouse might feel that her ears are burning at the moment. Mind you, she may well be asleep with a still-smouldering crack pipe pressed against the pillow…

Hee! Made me laugh. :o)

* Wedding, schmedding. I am definitely not a wedding-obsessed type of gal - but I'm also not a raving pro-feminism wedding basher, either. This article from mental_floss had some interesting tidbits on the patriarchal origins of several wedding traditions. It didn't really tell me anything I hadn't already heard or read before but it was still a humorous editorial read - and it offered access to this...

* The most awesome wedding cake ever. I don't think I'll have cake at my wedding but if someone plopped this in my lap, I'd make an exception. The photo is courtesy of alt text's Flickr photostream, which you can access here. It's definitely worth a look - such amazing detail!! It's fantastic. A little story as to the creation of the cake is also featured on the photostream's main page, so I highly recommend taking a gander if you have the time. (The groom also posted about it on his blog, should you want to read a bit more about it.)


I also feel the need to post my favorite user comment on the cake - this guy (or girl) is such a moron but they did make me laugh. I'm sort of a laugh whore, aren't I?
Yay Congratulations!...

...ON FORGETTING THE F&CKING GOOMBAS!!! I hope your marriage sucks as bad as Super Mario Brothers 2, and is GAME OVER in a month. How the f%ck could you forget the goombas? Have you ever even played a Mario game??? I hate this stupid cake.


Hmm... upon further investigation I see that this cake is two years old - and was, apparently, a mini-sensation when the photos came out. Whoops! Well, it was new to me so I will assume it's new to you, too. Here's a photostream of a newer Mario-themed cake from earlier this month.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome cakes!!! and they had little people as well. what were the goombas?

Lauren said...

Goombas are the little reddish-brown mushroomy looking things that were basically mushroom caps with feet. If you look for 'Goomba' at Wikipedia, there's a picture and everything. :o)