I was almost felled by a crazy horse this morning! True story. It definitely woke me up but had I slept in an extra ten minutes, the horse and I would not have crossed paths. Damn you, alarm!
Let me back up a moment. I sort of do the dipsy-doodle in the morning to get to Mission Blvd. and on Isherwood (well, I guess at the point the story takes place it's turned into Quarry Lakes Dr.) there's this cute little farm on the (I guess it's the western side - I am geographically challenged, people, so bear with me) side of the road. I always like watching the horses and chickens and roosters and peacocks wandering around as I drive to and from work. The property itself doesn't have a fence around it, so sometimes the chickens wander into the bike lane and whatnot, but I've never actually seen any of the livestock go so far as to wander into the road. The horses are kept within their own little pen and I often see them out and about with riders, but never on their own. Until this morning.
actor dramatization of the crazy horse
As I was driving unassumingly down the road this morning, I was startled (to say the least) to see a horse running full-speed toward my car. It was totally one of those moments when you're completely dumbstruck and thinking "Is this really happening to me?" Seriously - how often does a horse charge your car?! The horse wasn't coming from the farm - it was coming from the opposite side of the street where there is a field but where I've never before seen the horses hanging out and grazing or anything like that. I slammed on my brakes and the horse was seriously inches from my car. It paused for maybe a 1/2-second before it kept right on running, unconcerned about other cars in its path. Meanwhile, I had a heart attack and watched the entire contents of my purse spill out over the passenger seat and floor. The horse was rider-less and must've gotten spooked by something but holy bejesus... I'll never look at the 'cute' little farm the same way again! Stupid rogue horse.
2 comments:
It's nice that this story has a happy ending, rather than one where your car goes back to the shop AGAIN for beaucoup repairs that aren't your fault ( not to mention damage to the horse). Nice driving!
Oh, and I really enjoyed your "actor reinactment of the horse" caption....
I'm glad someone appreciated my caption - I rather enjoyed it myself! :o) I always think posts with photos are more interesting than those without, so I thought I'd spice this one up a bit, too. It actually took a while to find a photo of a horse in action as opposed to just hanging out...
Post a Comment