As I mentioned in my last post, Robert and I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall yesterday - and one of the (many, many, many) previews we saw was for The Incredible Hulk. I had seen a preview online many moons ago and it didn't look too bad; this was the same preview and I still contend that the movie doesn't look bad at all. (Edward definitely doesn't look bad... mmm.) I'm not a huge fan of the Hulk's graphics but then again a dude in green prosthetics would look cheesy, too. And bonus: the movie doesn't look anything like the monstrosity (pardon the pun) that was Hulk. I like Eric Bana and that's why I sat through that movie but yikes - it was awful!! This incarnation looks much, much better and even Robert commented that it didn't "look too bad." :o) Ed isn't too keen on fluffy projects so I have to believe that his Hulk will be an above average comic book movie.
Anyhoo, during the preview, Robert asked me a few questions regarding Ed's involvement ("Did he sign up for TIH on purpose?") and I plunged into the long story of the movie's behind-the-scenes drama. (Oh, and yes, Edward did sign up for the movie on purpose - he wrote part of the script and is an uncredited producer.) The story is (sort of) old news, as it's been going on for a while, but since the movie is coming out in June and Robert still hadn't heard any of this, I thought maybe some of you would be interested, too. If not, well, go away... no one's forcing you to read this!! :o)
Where was I? Oh yes - Ed being difficult. Now, he has long had a reputation of being a somewhat difficult person on set but many attribute that to his extreme dedication to his craft. He's sort of like the teacher you heard about in school that was supposed to be really tough - that may have been true for the slackers but for you? Not so much. My point is, yes, he may be difficult to some people but Edward also has a lot of defenders. A lot of the back story and current project status, plus Ed's only official statement re: the ruckus is available here, at EntertainmentWeekly.com. However, since it's a 3-page article, I'll summarize as best I can. The basic gist of the reported dispute is this: Rumor has it that Ed's been such a jerk about rewrites and reshoots and the final editing of the film that he's effectively wrested it away from the director and is no longer talking to Marvel. Marvel supposedly pushed for an 'action scene, action scene, action scene, plot' approach to the film while Ed wanted a more thoughtful piece evocative of the show he loved as a kid and never the twain shall meet. As a result, the media has long since reported on the reputed bad blood between star and studio which has resulted in some negative publicity for the film. (As if it needed it - it has enough problems trying to shake off Hulk's lingering stink! Many wondered why Marvel would want to attempt doing a Hulk movie again, since the first once flopped so badly, but Marvel contends that the Hulk is the #2 guy (right behind Spiderman) in the Marvel galaxy and he's too awesome to let die). The director has since come out and said that he likes Ed very much and sided with him on the final cut of the film. The director has also said that he was sort of a mediator between Ed and Marvel during the editing dispute and that, had the 'feud' not become public, things could have been settle long ago. The general consensus is that Ed and Marvel are not speaking at this point because things have been blown up to ridiculous proportions and Ed is keenly aware that he's being painted as the pain in the ass. As such, he's trying to keep his head down and stay out of it. It appears the final cut is more to Marvel's taste but the general consensus is that Ed's ultimately OK with that, acknowledging that their cut is more 'commercial' than his. Hey, I like Ed and I'll drag Robert to see the movie no matter what version makes it to the screen! :o) I am nothing if not a supportive fangirl.
0 comments:
Post a Comment