Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Birthday Celebrations

All righty, then - let's start with my birthday proper. I always like to go out with my family for dinner so that my actual birthday feels like a special day. This year, my parents, Mel, Wade, Robert and I headed to Taiwan. It's a place I like very much but because it's in San Jose, Robert and I don't eat there terribly often.


Because Taiwan was only a few minutes away from the Blackards' place, we all headed over there after dinner to open presents and partake of a little cake.


We saw this antennae topper at Disneyland and thought it was perfect for Robert. (You know how he loves to honor his heritage!) But it was $5... which I think was about $4 too much in Robert's mind, so he passed. Mel bought it for him on the sly and gave it to him. Normally I wouldn't tolerate someone else getting a gift on my birthday but in this case I was willing to overlook it. :o)

The pony in this picture is another story altogether. I saw a barrel of ponies in the General Mercantile in Adventureland, I believe, and fell in love. What was (or am) I going to do with a stuffed pony at 29 years of age? No idea. But they were so soft!!!! And floppy!! I loved them. I fawned over them. I showed them to Robert... who promptly pooh-poohed them because they were 7 dollars. I'd already bought a bag of antennae toppers (which he had a minor coronary over) and a picture frame for 20 bucks so I guess I'd reached my spending ceiling. I walked away, dejected, only to return later to fawn over them some more. I got a "We-ell... if you really want it..." which basically meant I could buy one if I was willing to endure a hairy eyeball the rest of the trip anytime I needed to buy some water. I wasn't so I didn't. And I was very sad. And brought it up and rubbed it in for the rest of the trip - and a while after. ;o) Well!! Luckily for ME Mel was able to buy one on the sly and it was one of the best birthday presents ever!! Or at least this year.


The candles that went in his nose did not go on the cake. No worries.


Singing Happy Birthday (to myself)




Saturday night was when we got together with friends to celebrate. It was a small group this year but we still had a very good time and I was glad those who could make it were there. It's always nice to have an excuse to get people together! We had dinner at Banchero's, then retired to our condo for some video games and a little Love Me, Love My Doll. Cindy was very sweet and baked me some delicious red velvet cupcakes. Fantastic!! All in all, a great evening.

And now my birthday is over for another year... boo. :o( Or, actually, yay - I don't want to be 30!

0 comments: