Every weekend this month, Robert and I have had something to do. Be it something as small as a hair appointment or as large as a family gathering, at least one day (but usually both) out of every weekend has something scheduled. This is both good and bad... Good in that the month is just flying by and in a blink it will be April. Bad because we feel like we're going at full-steam all day every day and are pretty pooped. Can you imagine if we actually had lives?!
Anyway, this past Saturday Robert and I took a couple of out-of-town friends around Berkeley. Doug is a freelancer that works closely with Robert; they chat at least once a week. He and his wife, Sue, live in Cincinnati but have come out to CA a couple of times and are very easy to hang out with. (We also caught up with them when we went out to Indianapolis last year).
They are expecting their first child later this summer, so this is perhaps the last time we'll see them for a bit. (Though they always offer to drive up and meet us in Chicago when we visit my sister, so maybe we'll see them sooner than we think). In any event, I was a little wary of walking around the city this weekend since it was supposed to rain, but the weather cooperated and the four of us had a lovely visit.
Doug was interested in checking out Berkeley because he'd heard a lot about it in some college PoliSci classes and wanted to check it out for himself. I have to say that, as much as I like Berkeley, I'm not sure I'd peg it as a hot destination for out-of-state visitors! I wasn't really sure what Robert would even think of to do, in all honesty. We wound up walking around Cal and wandering down Telegraph, stopping to chat in a Peet's Coffee along the way - that actually seemed to satisfy everyone. We lunched at Zachary's Chicago Pizza Inc. and it was awesome - very good! I've actually been fortunate enough to have real Chicago deep dish in Chicago proper, and this was a pretty good approximation. We had dinner at Downtown restaurant (on Shattuck) and it was also very good. A little too "adult" for me (you know how I love my little kid food!) but they had sliders on the menu, so my meal was saved. :o) All in all it was a very relaxed, enjoyable visit and I'm really glad they got a chance to come out and see us before their son is born. Doug and Robert get along great and it's always nice to catch up with good friends.
2 comments:
I read in the local blat that Cal tour guides are now pointing out the tree sitters near Wheeler Hall as if they are bona fide campus points of interest. A more gentile version of the Cal historical aura for our Midwest visitors than someone blowing their nose in a random hamburger wrapper on Telegraph Avenue....
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
We didn't see the tree sitters, but we did pass by some folks enjoying some alternative outdoor refreshments, so I think Doug & Sue got what they were looking for. :o) And of course I made sure to tell them about the nose blowing incident - first thing!!
Post a Comment