As much as I love the Oscars, the morning after is a little stressful for me. So many recaps, so little time! I really have to have a systematic approach to checking all of my favorite sites or else I get all bumfuzzled and convinced I'm missing something incredibly interesting or hilarious. This year, though, the recaps are much like the writers' strike-hindered ceremony was - a bit muted. Actually, there was a striking dearth of biting commentary. Still, I persevered and found a precious few tidbits that made me smile. My favorites?
(1) I will try to keep my opinions on John Travolta to myself, (if you spend any time with me in real life, you know what they are already, anyway!). However, recently the man has been sporting what can only be called fuzz hair. Dust hair. Ron Popeil spray-on hair. It's ridiculous. You know that old game where you had a face, some magnetic shavings and a magnet? And you made funny facial hair on the guy? That's John Travolta's hair. Anyway, when I saw this "Red Carpet 'Ugly' Moment" (and the one that followed) on Gawker.com, I felt vindicated!
Spray-On Hair Party and Matching Hairlines(2) Also from Gawker.com: Old Country for Old Men ?
(3) Diablo Cody disses the annual 'Million Dollar Shoes' (Defamer.com): "I honestly though they were just sparkly shoes. Mr. Weitzman did mention that the diamonds were real when I tried them on, but I'm not Nancy Rockman, Expert Gemologist." UPDATE! She may be a big, fat, hairy liar!! DiabloShoeGate'08
(4) Much to my chagrin, no one referenced Jennifer Hudson's botched attempt at pronouning Javier Bardem's name. "Har-vy-air"?! Really? You're an Academy Award winning actress and you can't practice one dude's name? Maybe it was hard to see the prompter over her, um, ample assets ... or maybe she attended the Brett Favre/Sade School of "Where's That 'R'?" Name Pronunciation.
(5) I used to love the 'Television Without Pity' site but ever since it "merged" with Bravo, it's kind of sucked. It's just not the same and I. Don't. Like. Change. Plus, the people who run TWoP also ran Fametracker.com, a site I also adored, but since the merger they've put the latter on permanent hiatus. Mew. Anyway, Fametracker used to have a Galaxy of Fame feature that I really liked and that has been absorbed by the new TWoP, it appears. I stumbled across it yesterday in my vigorous post-Oscar Web scouring and it was funny. Not laugh-out-loud hilarious but funny. Now that I've really built it up for you ... Oscars 2008 Edition GoF (The Diablo Cody rant is pretty good. As is the riff on Tilda Swinton).
0 comments:
Post a Comment