Tuesday, January 04, 2011

TV Tidbits 94: HIMYM's "Bad News"

I think only Mel and Biji will appreciate this post but if you haven't watched last night's episode (or read any of the ensuing spoilers) STOP NOW!

...
...
...
...
...

I watched the ep this afternoon after school and was surprised by the ending but now crazily so. I guess I am a heartless schlub. Dang. Still, I hopped on to IMDb and found an article about the episode. That, in turn, led me to EW.com where I found another take on the twist and a most helpful link to a Tumblr page that captured screen shots of each number. (I didn't notice the countdown at all because I'm dumb, I guess. I did notice the 48 steak sauce but thought it was a lame TV take on Heinz 57 or A1 steak sauce. I also noticed the 6 when Dr. Stengel tossed the medical file but mostly just thought it was weird. Aren't I so sharp?! Geez. Of course, after I read about the countdown I had to fast forward through the episode again to find all the numbers... Turned out to be pretty easy. Why didn't I notice'em the first time around? Gah.) Apparently, the viewing public is torn between thinking it was the best, most creative and awesome HIMYM episode ever and thinking that the countdown was leading toward something funny and, when it did not, getting offended by the 'cheap emotional sucker punch.' I'm with the chick from TV.com - "when the episode was over, I moved on." Am I indeed a heartless schlub at the core of my superficial schmoopiness? What did you guys think?

2 comments:

Melanie :c) said...

Thank you so much for researching this! Wade and I were in the 'feeling sucker punched' category... loved the numbers and got really into them and expected some funny ending! Guess we should have read the title of the episode, huh? :c) The Tumblr page forgot one shot.. there was an additional '44' (which also confused us).. a dude walked right behind Barney with a number 44 jersey on at the bar.. same time as they showed the 44 on the board behind the bar. All in all, it was just a weird way to announce bad news! But thanks for researching and posting.. interesting to read the articles!

Melanie :c) said...

One more thing... indulge me for a moment... love how the quote from the writers (in the first article) had a grammatical mistake! "I think it came out good" WTH?!? People (you know who you are, WADE!) who mess up good and well drive me bonkers! And the fact that a writer of all people did this... well I NEVER! Okay, teacher rant over! :c)