I face a tap dilemma this weekend and I need a little outside advice. My instructor over the past few years, Traci, was finally beaten down by Debra (the Parks & Rec director who, if you ever go to my recitals or hear me talk about, you know to be horribly narcissistic and annoying) and quit. So, starting next week, a new gal will be leading the ladies of Wednesday night Intermediate Adult Tap. Traci, meanwhile, will be assisting Mrs. Gentry (who, yes, is still alive) on Monday nights in Newark for a Beg/Int Adult Tap class. I really want to keep tapping - if I stop, I know I'll lose my mojo and just never go back - but I don't know which class to sign up for. Neither class will be particularly fast-paced so that's no help. Fremont makes you sign up for each quarter session separately and, at $69/ea I'll be shelling out $138 to finish out the year. Newark, however, makes you sign up for the remaining two quarter at one time (because they're considered the "recital quarters") and it will cost me $142 as a non-resident to finish out the year in Newark. So monetary considerations aren't really a help, either. I've been chatting on Facebook with a woman from my class, Danielle, who was one of the few people in class both under 50 and actually a good tapper. She, unlike me, knows who'll be teaching in Fremont and passed this along after I asked:
Genea is teaching the class. She was one of Traci's assistants. She helped with my sons class and occasionally taught. I just felt she was not effective. No control, not very enthusiastic, hopefully she is better with adults. She is a great dancer and is taking classes in dance at the college. I think most of the ladies are going to give her a try.
If you sign up in Newark... I know that Traci's mom is in the class and Traci said there was one other person in the class around my age. I had to leave so my kids and I would have the same teacher, plus I am irritated with Debra (I sent her an e-mail)....
So. I am at a tap crossroads. I like the Wednesday night ladies but I'm not sure how many are going to stick around (though I assumed most) and the instructor doesn't sound super fabulous. I really like Traci and she will most likely be teaching an adult tap class on her own next year but Mrs. Gentry's class isn't going to be too strenuous in the meantime. I do like Danielle, though, so I'd know someone and that's always my biggest hurdle. :o) Neither class is really calling to me but, as I said, I think it's important for me to keep dancing somewhere so I want to pick one and get started. I have to sign up by this weekend because classes start next week. This is where you come in:
3 comments:
I think you should stick with the teacher that you like. I have taken different irish dancing classes and it just isn't the same when you don't like the instructor!
I think it's time for a change of venue. The Fremont class dance projects have been cast to what the most limited dancer in the class could do, and that's not likely to change. This year with Mrs. Gentry might be uninspiring, but the future could be a big improvement.
Two other reasons to pick Monday:
1. No Spazzyman.
2. You're likely to be less fatigued than Wednesday, given the rigors of school.
Thanks to all for voting! I am always so happy to see people participating in the blog. :o) I ultimately decided to go for it and signed up for the Monday class. Unfortunately, I was sick the first week and there's no class tomorrow so I'll have to let you all know how it is a bit later on. I will say this, though - the class is from 8-9 so I'll consider it an accomplishment just to get my butt off the couch and to class at that time of night!
Post a Comment