Thursday, April 02, 2009

Music Minims 07 - Depeche Mode

I know, you guys are probably all sick of seeing posts on Depeche Mode but I can't help it. I know my sisters enjoy the Mode as much as I do (well, maybe a little less) so there are at least two other people out there who will read what I post. :o)

A fairly lengthy article in the L.A. Times popped up online on the 28th but I won't bore you by reposting the entire thing here. I'll simply post an excerpt

It might have been the impasse to end Depeche Mode's quarter-century run crafting such exquisite cyber-pop hits as "Personal Jesus," "Strangelove" and "Master and Servant." But instead, it seems that Gore and Gahan's jockeying for position on "Playing the Angel" gave way to a happy bipartisanship on Depeche Mode's new album, "Sounds of the Universe," which hits retail April 21. Its propulsive lead single, "Wrong," cracked Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks' Top 20 last month and a disturbing video for the song -- which follows a mysterious masked man piloting an out-of-control car through the streets of downtown Los Angeles -- was the most viewed clip on YouTube for two days following its posting.

Not only are the bandmates getting along better than ever these days (the group's third remaining member, keyboard player Andrew Fletcher, has never rocked that boat), their late-inning burst of creativity resulted in enough new material for two albums. Writing for a year on his own, Gore came into the studio with 17 demo tracks; Gahan, having tempered his expectations after "Playing the Angel," arrived with five. Owing to Gahan's abhorrence of the double-CD format, "Sounds of the Universe" was culled down from more than 20 tracks to a concise 13 -- three of them written by the singer.

"For the first time during the completion of a Depeche record, I felt satisfied," Gahan said. "Not only with my participation, but our involvement together. I felt like Martin and I were on the same page in the studio quite often. It was something you didn't even have to talk about. That felt really great."

and then tell you to access the full article here.

And because I always look for any excuse to share my most favoritest DM interview EVER, here it is! (You'll see how it ties in when you see Martin's state of inebriation...)

0 comments: