Monday, December 08, 2008

TV Tidbits 39 - Random Bits o' Stuff

Sigh. This is a particularly depressing Monday here at work. And it's not much better in TVland this morning, either. Boo. Nothing Earth-shattering... just minorly annoying.

First up - Bear Grylls. Dude injured himself while on an expedition to Antarctica to "promote alternative energies and their potential." According to his blog, "[h]e [used] lots of different forms of alternative power, including wind powered kite-skiing, part bio-ethanol powered jetskis and inflatable boats, electric powered paragliders, solar and wind powered base camps…and good old foot work!" Apparently his foot work isn't too swift, however, since he fell and injured his shoulder. He's currently en route to Britain to have it checked out. Selfish bastard. If this affects the filming schedule for the next next season of Man vs. Wild I will be quite put out! (I say next next because the next season has already been shot - it begins airing in January.) Hmpf.

Next - Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning. Say what?! I saw a little blurb on this earlier this morning and was quite astonished to find that Kevin Sullivan has made yet another AoGG movie. Now, you all know how much I adore the first two, so I harbor no ill will towards Anne or Kevin Sullivan in general. That being said, the 3rd installment (The Continuing Story) went off the books completely and was a big dull dud. It was boring, completely unbelievable and screwed with the Anne/Gil dynamic in a way that many within the Anne community found distressing. (I know - I checked the message boards.) Anyway, I usually try to pretend the 3rd one just doesn't exist. Now there's a FOURTH installment?! And it sounds even more preposterous than the third!
It is 1945 and Anne Shirley (Barbara Hershey) now a successful, middle-aged writer has returned to Prince Edward Island for an extended visit. On a whim, she agrees to write a play for a theatre producer. The play, she reasons, will keep her busy—at least busy enough to not go out of her mind with worry about her only son who has yet to return from the war overseas. But a long-hidden secret in the form of a letter from her errant father, discovered under the floorboards at Green Gables, provides a distraction of its own. As Anne struggles to complete the play, she delves into long-buried memories, reliving the troubled years before she arrived as an orphan at the Green Gables farmhouse. She is forced to confront the fact that she made up stories about her life; after her mother died and when her father deserted his young daughter. During that time, Young Anne (Hannah Endicott-Douglas), is taken into the care of a wealthy matriarch, Amelia Thomas (Shirley MacLaine) and her daughter-in-law, Louisa (Rachel Blanchard), which changes her life forever.

Over the course of one remarkable summer, Anne Shirley discovers the astonishing truth about her father, the origins of her quest for "kindred spirits" and the roots of her brilliant, magical imagination.

Really? REALLY?!! She's going to find her long-lost dad's letters? And then remember some other family she lived with? And that she's made up a bunch of stories about her life?!! What in the hell is going ON here?!! Egads. This sounds horrific. Kevin Sullivan is completely altering the entire premise of the friggin' books!!!! Anne Shirley's parents died of TB or something, I don't know (quick Wikipedia check: typhoid fever). Point is, they were nice people who died at the same time and left their kid behind. In this version the mom was probably a hooker and the dad a drunk that ran away from home. Yeesh. Did I mention this sounds dreadful? Yuck.

If you are soulless, however, and feel the need to read more about this (or check out when it will air), click here.

0 comments: