Robert and I have started an annoying birthday tradition of guessing each other's surprises. For his last birthday, I bought Robert tickets to a couple of concerts and a book that he'd been reading but which had 80 pages missing out of its center for some reason. He'd said at the time that he didn't like the book enough to buy a new one but he was far enough along that he was annoyed he wouldn't know what happened. So, as a joke, I bought him a used copy. Weeks go by, the book is deposited in some desolate corner of our house and I'm thinking I'm in good shape. A week before his birthday, I see him reading it.
Me: What the heck are you doing? I thought you weren't reading that anymore.
Robert: Well, I'm going to try to finish it and just see if it makes any sense, even without the 80 pages.
Me: Don't do that!!!! You might be getting a copy someday soon, you moron! Happy birthday. Jerk.
Later that same week he tells me he wants to buy tickets to the Band of Horses concert - he'd just seen tickets on some site he was visiting. I had bought tickets two months prior.
Me: Really? Band of Horses? When?
Robert: Day after Thanksgiving. You like them, right?
Me: Eh ... I guess. But I might not want to go out the day after Thanksgiving - you know, Black Friday, the hustle and bustle. I might want to veg out. Plus, we should save our money.
Robert: No, no, no - we need to do things we enjoy, blah blah blah. (This from a man who won't spend $2 on spring rolls because I don't eat them all!)
Needless to say, I had to tell him I'd bought tickets because he was like a dog with a bone and wouldn't give it up! This is the birthday card I made him:
Now it's my turn. I'm supposed to think of some place to go with my family for my annual birthday dinner. I'm thinking Claim Jumper - we get take out from there from time to time, it's a good place for a group and my brother-in-law really likes it, too. Robert says, "Hmm ... is there somewhere else you might like to go?" Crap. When's the last time I ate at Claim Jumper? January 2007 in Puyallup, WA! Why would I pick it now? Because, apparently, he's planned some surprise to-do for me at Claim Jumper and I like ruined surprises. Yay me. So, I decide to pick a new restaurant. I ask Robert for suggestions; he says there was somewhere he wanted to take me and I say, "Shh! Don't tell me! We'll go on a date later this week for my birthday." Good save, I think. The next day, after much hemming and hawing, I decide on Cheesecake Factory. I really like the food but it's a place where I rarely eat in the restaurant itself because it's always so crowded so this is a good opportunity to force myself to go. I ask Robert if 8:00 in Pleasanton is OK - he replies, in his squeaky voice, "Sure!" Squeaky voice = problem, so I ask him if he's sure. "Of course!" Turns out, that's where he was going to take me on our date. Niiiiiiiice. That's 2 surprises ruined.
Then, last night, Robert tells me he has to get up early for an early meeting. Some international phone call he has to make at 7:30, so he'll be up by 6. Very early (and somewhat odd - he usually makes those calls from home so he doesn't have to get up early, but he doesn't want to charge international rates on our line, he says) but OK. I ask him to wake me up when he leaves because I want to get up early and treat myself to a Lloyd's donut. I'm supposed to be up by 7 everyday, but rarely am - I'm almost always late. Anyway, he wakes me up at 6:30 and I groggily kiss him goodbye and roll over. I can't fall back asleep, however, as I've been restless since 5:30 and know I'll have to get up soon. So, at 7, I get up. As I open the bedroom door, I see the front door is open. Scared the crap out of me! Turns out, Robert had been planning to go to Lloyd's all along to buy me a donut and was all stressed out when I'd mentioned I was going to do it myself. So, he woke up early, bought the donuts and some tulips and was going to have everything arranged and waiting for me when I got up. At 7:30. Like I have been the past 3 weeks. But, no, today I thought I'd get up on time and ruin a 3rd surprise. Love it! This totally sucks.
The dude in the photos is our waiter - his name tag says 'Jermey' but I'm going to assume it's a misprint and that his name is really Jeremy. I hope. He had on a BOATLOAD of cologne; so much so that my left sweater sleeve has effused Eau de "Germy" all day!
0 comments:
Post a Comment