So! Now that I've pumped you all up, here's a little info on what I've been doing school-wise that's been hogging all my attention. Mostly, I've been preoccupied with an oral presentation I had to give last Wednesday. We all had to draw numbers to see when we'd present and I drew the first day, of course. Which was sort of okay - I definitely did NOT want to be last - but mostly not good because the presentation fell on the same day as my big 56 midterm. And it fell only two weeks after we were told about the assignment; this is annoying because some people are going to get over a month to plan out their shtick while I had two measly weeks. Now, if I look at the situation honestly I'd have to say that it didn't really matter how much time I was given - I am SUCH a procrastinator that I'd have waited until the last possible minute whether it was due tomorrow or in three months. But still - it's the principle of the thing, people!
Anyhoo, we got to pick our own topic (I chose inflammatory bowel disease in canines) and the object of the assignment was to get us comfortable explaining things in laymen's terms to clients. The presentation was supposed to be no more than 5 minutes and needed to be accompanied by visual aids you'd find in a clinic (in other words, not some razzle dazzle PowerPoint thing). I actually already knew a lot about IBD so research wasn't really going to be a huge problem. What was a problem was the visual aid; I decided to whip up a brochure but I'm so freakin' anal retentive that it took me eons to get it juuuuuust right. Since I started the assignment at about 3 the afternoon before it was due, you won't be surprised to learn that I didn't finish until 2:30 in the morning... And I had to be up at 4:15. Whoops. Had I studied for my midterm at all? Nope. Well, I had studied for several hours on Monday night and had a couple of hours to study between the presentation and the actual test but still - not the best situation I could have left myself in.
But look at this brochure! Snazzy.
Of course, my insane sleepiness was the least of my problems. I am the world's worst public speaker. I have severe performance anxiety, it's ridiculous. When I get nervous I get nauseous and flustered and try to get through whatever I'm doing as quickly as humanly possible. This is why I do not do well on my practical exams: I never take a moment to collect myself. I just rush on and try to get to some end, right or wrong, so I can be finished. It's retarded. And my oral presentation was no different. I knew the information well, that wasn't the problem. I just got so worked up and flustered that any time I drifted off track I blurted out "This is horrible!" I have no filter when I'm frazzled! Verbal diarrhea takes over and I have no control over it whatsoever. The class was super nice about it but I was completely embarrassed. I'm 31-years-old and I can't speak in public. Stupid. I have been kicking myself over it ever since and even posted a little blurb about it on a friend's Facebook thread. Check it out:
See? Everyone has been very kind but still... I feel like a complete and utter loser. Sigh.
To cap off this fabulous event, I have a practical exam this coming Tuesday (I only have to be able to hook up an EKG machine, set-up an anesthesia machine for both re-breather and non re-breather circuits as well as trace the flow of oxygen, and go over the main points of radiography safety. Easy peasy, right? *tsk*) and a paper due on Wednesday. Then, next Tuesday, I get to attend this fun seminar for 3 hours:
This seminar will feature a comprehensive discussion of the mechanical properties of inhalant anesthesia systems including oxygen and/or ancillary carrier gas issues, capabilities and limitations of vaporizers, and intricacies of appliances used to administer inhalant anesthetics. Also covered will be care, cleaning, maintenance, and self-test aspects of the system. Emphasis is on definitions and names of components, function of components, and physical properties related to non-rebreathing systems and rebreathing systems. In addition, waste anesthetic gas management, human health issues with respect to exposure to inhalant anesthetics, and OSHA considerations will be discussed. This presentation is targeted for technicians, investigators, facilities managers, veterinarians, PhD's, MD's, and all those interested is learning more about the mechanical properties of inhalant anesthesia systems.
It's an open seminar so if you want to get in on that party, lemme know. I can hook you up.



0 comments:
Post a Comment