Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The First Thanksgiving...

for which Robert and I were 'in charge' of the meal's execution. My parents have definitely been through the wringer the past couple of months and so Robert and I wanted to do as much of the Thanksgiving prep and cooking as possible. It really was a group effort, though - everybody chipped in and I think everything turned out pretty well! My parents let us have a go at the turkey, though, and that was my main worry. No one wants to serve up a big plate of salmonella for Thanksgiving, y'know what I mean?

Since neither Robert nor I had any turkey experience whatsoever, I decided to use the Stovalls' recipe for a honey brined turkey. They had put their recipe - with instructions! - on their blog last year and it got some rave reviews. I didn't want to pester my mom with turkey questions every five minutes so a recipe where everything is spelled out for me? Done. I made the brine, Robert manned the turkey while in the oven and aside from an initial hiccup locating the bag of "gibbly-poos" (those are giblets), the turkey was fabulous! Super moist and delicious... I think it turned out smashingly, if I do say so myself. :o)

Receiving an intial consult...




Robert was very proud of the turkey!





The pies were a big hit (I think), even without homemade crust.



This would have been a really nice photo if Garfunkel's eyes weren't so friggin' demonic-looking! Geez.




2 comments:

Dakin said...

So glad that our turkey recipe was a success in your home too!

S Drinkerman said...

Compliments to the chefs :o) - all of the food was totally dy-no-mite! And the ersatz pie crusts are actually quite excellent. Your mom has concluded that they're very tasty and SO much easier than rolling out pie crust from scratch.

Nice video on the Turkey Dance. It joins the Talking Potato Skin in Robert's collection of priceless food moments....