Yesterday I had to make the trek to Cupertino after work to have my first fitting in my wedding dress. First of all, let me just say it reminded me how much I don't miss commuting! It took me an hour and 10 minutes to get from Hayward to Cupertino. Crapola! But the dictators over at Bay Area Bridal absolutely insisted that I make the appointment on a weekday, since weekends are so busy I would not be allotted the time and attention needed. What a crock. I went in on a Saturday a few weeks back to pick up my sister's bridesmaid dress and there was no one there! And my other sister went in two weekends ago to get her dress and same deal. But the woman on the phone simply refused to make me a weekend appointment. So Wednesday it was.
Now, I expected the alterations to cost a fair amount. We who cannot sew are a captive audience and I understand this. And every vendor in the wedding industry will rip you off simply because they can. I understand this as well. But the total charge for my alterations came out to $285!!!!! Holy bejesus!!!! Are they sewing my dress back together with gold thread or WHAT?! They are charging me $150 for the hem alone! I realize I'm short but it's not like they're reinventing the wheel here! Lop off some fabric and fold it under! How is that worth $150?!!!! Were I the kind of person that stands up for myself in such situations I would've stormed out with my dress in tow and gotten an estimate elsewhere. As it was I just sat there and said "Okay!" and handed over my credit card. Ridiculous. The alterations will cost almost half as much as the dress itself! My brain is melting. I should've taken Robert's original advice and bought something from J. Crew...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hey Laur!
I should've warned you about the alterations cost! The same exact thing happened with my dress.. alterations cost half of the dress itself. So, don't feel badly, you would have gotten ripped off for alterations no matter where you went! :c)
Post a Comment