Friday, June 19, 2009

Wedding Shower!

My wedding party threw me a loverly bridal shower last Sunday so I simply must update you all on it! Even though you were probably already there. Or I've already told you about it. But whatever. :o) Fridays are definitely the worst days for me time-wise at work so I'm totally going to cheat and copy-and-paste an e-mail I sent to my sister, Michelle, about the shower. I'm sorry to be so tacky but it's either this or no post at all! Suck it up, people.

Okay, here we go:

"The shower was really great. I must admit I was a wee bit nauseous going into it because I just do NOT like being the center of attention. And events where different groups of people in your life have to mingle always stress me out. Never goes well. But on the flip side, I probably would have felt a little gypped had I not had a shower-y shower so I think, all things considered, everything went quite well. [My sister,] Melanie, of course, had everything decorated for the occasion - she had a big wall sign made for me, teal streamers and lanterns everywhere, flowers, photos (even my original birth announcement!), diamond ring napkin rings, little candy engagement rings and star confetti sprinkled everywhere. But nothing super over-the-top; it all looked very nice. Nora and Maria came early to help decorate and they also chipped in and made a lot of the food [imagine boring rundown of the specific kinds of food offered here].

All my aunts came, as well as Robert's mom and aunt, Cindy, Emily and my friend Gladys from work. There was little-to-no mingling, as was to be expected, and I actually spent most of my time visiting with Nora and Cindy. I talked to everyone, of course, but I hadn't seen my girlfriends in a while and sort of wound up chatting with them most often. I very much hope no one was offended or felt ignored or excluded. I was so glad everyone made a point of coming! I hope everyone had a good time. Social interactions are almost the most stressful element of functions like these but I'd give the shower a solid 7 or 8 out of 10.

We played a few games and those actually went over pretty well, too, I think. (It wasn't really a game-y kind of crowd...) There was a quiz on 'how well do you know the bride?' (answer: not well apparently! Boo.) and it was fun because Mel got Robert's answers, too. My favorite Q&A was this: When asked to answer which section of the bookstore I head to first, I said "But I don't go to bookstores! I shop online!! And if I ever do have to buy something in a real store, I usually make Robert go for me. Or with me." And Robert's answer was "Hmm, this is a tough one because Lauren doesn't really like to shop in stores. She usually shops online. If she does need to buy something at the bookstore, she usually has me go for her." We are SO meant to be!!! :o) Then there was a little word game and a Hershey kisses hunt but that was all. Then it was on to presents and then dessert! I HATE opening presents in front of people but I survived. I got some very nice gifts and the cards were all really sweet, too. [Insert play-by-play of gift unwrapping here].

Oh! Cindy made the most gorgeous cupcakes - she baked red velvet cupcakes and decorated them with cream cheese frosting and chocolate butterflies that she made herself... freehand!!! They had blue and orange wings and they were so frickin' cute!!!! And, naturally, absolutely delicious. Everyone loved them."

How's that for a summary? Pretty okay, right? On to the photos!

Favors


Nora attempting to pin on my corsage...


Cindy and her fabulous cupcakes!


Emily, me, Cindy


You can't see it, but this is a shot of the diamond napkin ring


Me & Maria


Carmen & Rosemary


Ruby, Lill, my mom, Candi


Taking - and failing - the quiz...!






Maria did a fantastic job with the ribbon bouquet

And last but not least, the lovely hostess & me

Thanks again, ladies!!! You all did a terrific job! I had a great time. :o)

0 comments: