This year I decided to take my camera and snap a few photos of my department so that you all have a better understanding of to whom I am referring when I mention Coworker X. (You're welcome.) As I mentioned in an earlier post, the theme for this year's party was 'Celebrity Look-a-Likes' and I had not intention of dressing up. My boss really wanted me to go as Marcia Brady but I refused. Then I mentioned that Christina said I look like Helen Hunt and a bunch of people agreed. But what the f&%$ does a Helen Hunt costume look like?! 1994?!!! C'mon now. So, I just wore my festive garb as I'd planned... only I made myself a "Hello, my name is ____" tag and wrote in Helen Hunt to be a smartass. Some people thought it was funny but most didn't get it. Oh well. I still looked Halloween-y, I think.
This is me and Gladys, my one actual friend in the department (as opposed to coworker or acquaintance). We've been friends since I first started at The Bay (I posted a few photos of her and her daughter in my birthday post earlier this year.) She went for the not-a-real-costume-but-still-festive look, too. My headband got a lot of raves - I made it myself from a Martha Stewart kit I bought at Michaels. Woohoo! ;o) And check out my name tag; you can't even tell it is homemade!! I got skills.
Gladys - and everyone else in my office* - loved the Barack-o-lantern and wanted her photo taken with it.
I helped set-up the room for the pot luck...
Beth is on the left; she won the costume contest. Gladys is on the right; she decided at the last minute to dress up as Cruella de Vil. Her hair looked great but OY was it toxic!! It really fogged up our work area something fierce.
Here's a stealth shot of Big Mel (on the left). Anita, dressed as Ugly Betty (but sans her glasses at the moment), is on the right and one rung below the big boss in the department.

Here are the three pumpkins entered in the carving contest. A nine-year-old carved the one on the left, Robert (obviously) did the center pumpkin and our resident artist carved the one on the right. And I'm not being facetious when I say 'resident artist' - the woman that carved the third pumpkin really IS an awesome artist... I don't know why her pumpkin was so generic. In any event, her pumpkin won. I was (and am) confused. I told Robert one of three things happened: (1) the pumpkin was too political; (2) it was so above the rest of the field that it would've seemed unfair to win; or (3) people thought it was Pat (the winner)'s pumpkin. Seven out of ten people that would comment on the pumpkin in my presence praised Pat and I would then have to correct them. Lots of people told me mine should've won, though, so I guess I'm happy with that. And the prize wasn't money - it was dark chocolate-covered nougat (blech!) - so I'm OK with that, too. :o)
And, finally, here I am looking festive at my similarly festive desk. I look like a winner!! Actually, now everyone's pestering me to have Thanksgiving decorations for my desk. I'm going to have to do some scouting this weekend, I guess - Thanksgiving stuff is hard to find!* One woman did make the comment that she didn't know such political pumpkins were allowed on State property. Ugh. She's a big Hilary fan, though, so she was probably just bitter. Suck it, lady! You can carve yourself a Hilary face in '12 or '16, okay?
0 comments:
Post a Comment