Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spay Day, Take Two

Two weekends ago, the Foothill VT program hosted another pocket pet spay/neuter day (remember the one that we did last year with all the hoarded rats?); this time around, it was rats, rabbits and guinea pigs. I signed up once again and it was a lot more fun this year, since I got to do a lot more stuff because I'm a senior. :o) I really feel uncomfortable giving people orders, though (unless it's Robert...), so I had a hard time assigning things to my two Firsties in the beginning. But after a bit we settled into a good groove and took our rat, Perry, safely through his neuter. As the senior, I was the anesthetist which, of course, intimidated me, and the fact that Perry woke up on the table during his procedure didn't help! But the doctor assured me I'd done everything just fine and that those things sometimes happen. One of my Firsties also tried to reassure me by telling me that she once woke up during an anesthetized procedure. That both made me feel better and horrified me at the same time. But! We all survived, Perry included, so the day was a success!



This is Bubba. He was THE CUTEST guinea pig in the bunch! I seriously almost smuggled him home in my bag. 

Helping Lois administer subcutaneous fluids to Perry prior to surgery.


After premeds, before surgery. Not my most flattering photo - I wish I'd realized I was in the shot!

Nat and one of Bubba's friends.

Monitoring Perry's recovery.

Isn't he a cutie?!

And this gal got a golf ball-sized abdominal mass removed. She felt SO much better!

0 comments: