Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is This What YOU Guys Saw?!

I received something in the mail a while back, something I didn't really care about in the first place but the fact that it arrived when I was hoping for/expecting something else didn't help the matter. So this something has sat ignored on my desk for the past few weeks. But now that I am in a happier place and my no school/no work/happy fun time is slowly starting to reach its expiration date, I thought I'd go ahead and punish everyone by posting it. What is this mystery piece of crap, you ask? My recital videos. [Waits for applause to subside...] Yay.

I know that I say the same things every year: that my recitals are terrible, the people in my class are terrible, the music and/or choreography is terrible but this year something else is terrible, too. Me. Now, I'm not trying to make it sound like I think I'm usually Gene Kelly and Ann Miller's love child of dance or anything like that - far from it! It's just that I at least know the steps and have the sense of rhythm and good memory to perform adequately. But this year... Woof. I don't know. It's like the dancing dead. I look dreadful! Awful. I'm sloppy. I look bored. Or sleepy. Or, at the very least, uninterested. It's terrible!!! I never enjoy watching myself on film but I can honestly say that this year's recital is the worst I've seen myself in a while. I am disappointed. And I am sorry that so many of you - especially you new people who hadn't ever seen me dance before! - saw this in person. Once I start working again, I'll give you all a dollar* for your trouble. For those of you that haven't seen it yet but are willing to watch right now, I apologize in advance. (But no money for you. Sorry. You were warned.)

This is 'Beat It.' We are warring gangs, see? We're pink and blue. Scary! I am a blue gangsta; you can find me in the 2nd blue row, the third in line. Once we get out to center stage, I'm pretty much right smack in the middle. You can't really miss me. Unfortunately.

Beat It



And this is 'Takin' Care of Business.' I am the first one out in the front row on the right-hand side. And I stay in the front row for the entire dance. The one nice thing I can say for myself, though, is that I am right on it at the end, when we're "workin' over time." I point to my watch right when I'm supposed to. Yeah!

Takin' Care of Business



* Or maybe discounted veterinary services in 3-5 years.

0 comments: