Monday, April 26, 2010

Cars and Coco

Okay, so, as I predicted, I'm totally waffling on my "big life decision" so I don't have any news on that front. But! I do have a few less important updates to apprise you of so here we go:

(1) I got my stupid stinky, leaky car fixed two weekends ago and it turned out that a clogged sunroof drain was the culprit. I didn't even realize my sunroof had a drain; in fact, it has two! The clogged one caused both the leak in the ceiling and the one in the floor and it only took 3 days and $450 to fix it. Happy happy, joy joy! Here's my excited face. :-| Stupid expired warranty. Stupid money sieve Saturn. I hate you both!!!

(2) Robert and I saw Conan at the Nob Hill Masonic Center on Friday night and I took a few cell phone photos from our last row seats (we were just left of center, though, so it really wasn't so bad).

The promo screens before the show


Conan asking if we like his beard (I totally do - he looks so much better! And less red in person...)


Musical guest Chris Isaak


The inflatable "bat from hell"

The show was good. Not GREAT! but definitely good. There was less stand-up Conan than I thought there'd be - he sang a lot of songs. Humorous songs but still... it was hard to understand him over all the music so I didn't really enjoy them as much as the straight comedy. Robert was suuuuuuuuper excited that Andy Richter was there... until he discovered that he wasn't so funny on this tour. The scripted banter was kind of stilted. There were a few SF-specific bits that were pretty good. Two "commercials" for local merchants (Glass Dildo Me and the Bushman at Fisherman's Wharf) and a very funny Triumph the Insult Comic Dog bit. Conan has been featuring local musical guests on the tour (Spoon in Eugene and Eddie Vedder in Seattle) so Robert was crushed to learn that Chris Isaak was the designated local go-to for SF. He is about one click short of straight-out abhorring the man and I don't really know why. I like Chris Isaak - I don't lurv him but I like him - so I was fine with the selection. Robert was pulling for Neil Young; I can't even begin to express my happiness that Neil was not there. (Apparently, Neil was there for the first show in SF (as a regular ol' non-musical guest) so we might've just made a narrow escape!) The parking garage under the Masonic Center cost THIRTY DOLLARS to park in which just about gave Robert a heart attack and a stroke at the same time. Even I was shocked and taken aback. I mean, I expect parking in the city to be ridiculously expensive but somehow I was not prepared for $30. We were feeling a little better about our choice, though, when we were able to vacate the garage in less than 10 minutes and saw the line to pay for the cheaper garage a half-block away stretching all the way around the corner. All in all a successful evening and not a bad way to spend a Friday night.

0 comments: