Monday, November 14, 2011

PUPPIES!!!!!

One of the dogs Foothill selected for our program this year is Julia, a sweet little girl whose background is unknown. She is a little dog, less than 20 pounds, and her age is estimated to be around 5 years. She had definitely already had at least one litter, as one of our other pups this year is one of her puppies (he's about 7 months old now). Unbeknownst to the instructors when they picked her out, however, was that Julia was already pregnant with another litter!


Dr. Peter took an ultrasound on October 26th and counted at least 5 puppies - and they were coming soon. So my friend Amy, who has experience, volunteered to take Julia home and help her whelp. The puppies were born late Halloween evening with a surprise sixth puppy coming a little more than an hour after number five, in the wee hours of November 1st.

I had never seen a newborn puppy - the youngest puppy I'd seen was about 6 weeks old and that was when we saw Funk at his adoption event. So Amy let me come over on the 2nd and check'em all out. I was in HEAVEN!!! You'll see it in the photos - my excitement could not be contained! :o) I have seen them again since, on the 8th, and those pictures are at the end of the slide show. The puppies just opened their eyes for the first time on Saturday so you know I'm gonna have to head back over and love on them some more. They are just as adorable and soft and wonderful as I'd imagined. Oh, and while the puppies will eventually make their way to stay at Foothill (until they find their forever homes), Julia has found her home with Amy and Jeff and is now named Koukla. I am SO happy for her! She's a super huge love bug and couldn't have found a better place to be pampered. YAY!!!

0 comments: